Monday, August 29, 2011

Before and After

When we first purchased our home I didn't even dream that we would be homeschooling, so we bought an eleven hundred square foot home. As the idea of homeschooling started coming up in my husband's and I regular conversations, I thought to myself, oh no how am I going to make this work. But as time went by and I started digging into do-it-yourself magazines, or watching HGTV, we came up with the perfect solution. 

New Yorkers also entered my mind a lot. And I said to myself if they can raise great kids in small spaces, why not me? So the first thing I did was think of one powerful word, organize! The closest were the first place we started and then we worked our way onto the flooring, painting, and decor.

Here are the pictures from the flyer we first saw when our soon to be house was up for sale. We ripped up the carpet, put in hardwood and painted the house two tone. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of before and after pictures, but hopefully these will give you an idea of what things looked like before we gutted the house to bring it back to life. 

Here's the living room, kitchen, and dining area...


Here are the kids rooms after we'd painted but not gutted the floors or closets yet. The top picture is our current room for most of our schooling.


Here are the guys ready to start the mini-demo...

The closet shelves starting to take shape. We decided to do them from scratch to not only save money, but to size them perfectly for all the kids stuff and their monumental amount of books!

Here's the after pic of the smaller ones closet...
Our school room closet. All nice and ready for new school books to come..

Here's the after of the room that had the red bunk beds in it and that we now do most of our schooling in.
I decided to paint an accurate mural of all the continents up on the ceiling (and believe me, my neck was sore for a LONG time, but it was wroth it!) and the black strip through the middle of the wall is chalk board paint. It has come in handy big time with teaching so far, love it!

Okay that's all for now, but I will be posting more pics on how we've decorated the room and what school supplies and books have been a life saver so far. Thanks for stopping by!!

No comments:

Post a Comment