Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Why We Decided To Homeschool

First I want to say that I completely love all the teachers and workers in the education system that work tirelessly to give our children the knowledge they need for a brighter tomorrow. My child has been in the public school system now for three years. Each of those years something new ignited in him that was both encouraging and wonderful. But as he approached the end of the second grade, he was getting bored and stagnate with his work. This could have just been the change of school for him, but either way he started coming home every day discouraged. I started talking with friends who are homeschooling and that led to me digging in deeper about Nevada's eduction. And to my surprise we ranked bottom of the barrel at a whooping 49th place out of 50. This truly took me by surprise and got me thinking about my childhood. 

I was born and raised in Nevada and feel very blessed to live in such a beautiful state. Tahoe is just up the road and anything you can think of to do outdoors is on our back yard. But my education growing up here was very discouraging. I was not only held back, but didn't learn half of the things I should have known by the time I moved grade levels. So as I pondered those thoughts, I came to the conclusion that maybe it would be best for us to try something different. 

One of the programs I came across was Nevada Virtual Academy. Not only are the children coming out of the program ranking super high in education, but the ones I met in the program love it! And one of the best parts about it, is that it's free and meets all the school standards like a traditional public school. So right away we signed up and started getting our home ready for a positive school environment. It's taken a lot of work to get there, but it's also been a lot of fun, so with Monday fast approaching (the first day of school) I will post some before and after pictures of what we've done to get ready. More of that coming soon. So how about you, are you thinking of homeschooling? If you are, do you have any advice for us? 

Happy school days everyone!    

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Fantastic! At home, your kids wont be picked-on by the bully... unless you teach him self-defense and to never be a bystander as this world goes from bad to Hell...

    Q: Can anyone tell me the difference between K2 and IQ? A: Nthn. In Seventh-Heaven, we gitt'm both for eternity HawrHawr Need a few more thots, ideers, raw wurdz or ironclad iconoclasms? Ta-da! Voila!!

    VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI: As an ex-writer of the sassy, savvy, schizophenia we all go through in this lifelong demise, I just wanna help U.S. git past the whorizontal more!ass! we're in (Latin: words to [the] wise)...

    "This finite existence is only a test, son," God Almighty told me in my coma. "Far beyond thy earthly tempest is where you'll find tangible, corpulent eloquence". Lemme wanna tella youse without d'New Joisey accent...

    I actually saw Seventh-Heaven when we died: you couldn't GET any moe curly, party-hardy-endorphins, extravagantly-surplus-lush Upstairs (in [the] end without end -Saint Augustine) when my beautifull, brilliant, bombastic girly-girl passed-away due to those wry, sardonic satires.

    "Those who are wise will shine as brightly as the expanse of the Heavens, and those who have instructed many in uprightousness as bright as stars for all eternity" -Daniel 12:3

    Here's also what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

    Go git'm, girl. You're incredible. See you Upstairs. I won't be joining'm in the nasty Abyss where Isis prowls
    thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com
    infowars.com
    -YOUTHwitheTRUTH
    -------------------------------
    PS Need summore unique, uncivilized, useless names? Lemme gonna gitcha started, brudda:

    Oak Woods, Franky Sparks, Athena Noble, Autumn Rose, Faith Bishop, Dolly Martin, Willow Rhodes, Cocoa Major, Roman Stone, Bullwark Burnhart, Magnus Wilde, Kardiak Arrest, Will Wright, Goldy Silvers, Penelope Summers, Sophie Sharp, Violet Snow, Lizzy Roach, BoxxaRoxx, Aunty Dotey, Romero Stark, Zacharia Neptoon, Mercurio Morrissey, Fritz & Felix Franz, Victor Payne, Isabella Silverstein, Mercedes Kennedy, Redding Rust, Phoenix Martini, Ivy Squire, Sauer Wolfe, Yankee Cooky, -blessed b9...

    God blessa youse
    (trust-in-Jesus)
    -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL

    ReplyDelete